Nowdays, many Problems/diseases are occured due to unhealthy lifestyle. So, Here we will talk about the most common Disease which is known as ‘Arthritis‘. How Arthritis caused? various symptoms and Types of Arthritis. Will discuss Yoga Therapy for Arthritis cure and Yogic treatment for Arthritis with proper diet pattern.
Hello everyone, I am ‘Vishal Kumar Tripathy‘ student of Kaivalyadhama Yoga Institute, Lonavala, Maharastra. I am pursuing my Degree course [BA Yoga Philosphy] from Kdham. I have been practicing Yoga since 2016 and it has great Journey since then. Through this article, I am going to share you about one of the common diseases and its cures which is faced by many of the people of our society.
Arthritis – Types, Symptoms and Yogic Treatment
Arthritis is also known as “Joint Pain” and coupled with severe pain. It is a disease which occurs due to increase in the gap between the Joints of our body. usually found in the elderly and indolent people (which is above the age group of 40).
It occurs the ‘Inflammation in Joints‘ and futher leads to severe Pain. Our Joints are very flexible and suppleness. Synovial Fluid is present in between the joints, main role of this fluid is to reduce the friction between the joints during movement.
Symptoms of Arthritis :-
- Terrible Pain.
- Swelling In Joints.
- Redness and Heat in the Joints.
- Sluggish Movement of Joints.
- Incomplete digestion.
- Glandular Disorders.
- Weakened Nervous and Circulatory System.
- Pain while movment of Joints.
- Nutritional deficiencies.
Causes of Arthritis :-
- Lack of Proper Diet and Excercise.
- Hygienic Care.
- Improper Health.
- Climatic Condition.
- Acidic wastes in Joints (which affects the lubrication of the Joints).
Types of Arthritis :-
There are many kinds of arthritis and the 4 common types are:
- 1. Osteoarthritis
- 2. Gout
- 3. Rheumatoid arthritis
- 4. Osteoporosis
Osteoarthritis occurs when the flexible tissues at the end of the bone wears down. It means Joints of our body are overused and Inflammation in the joint take place. The most affected areas of our body are Hands, knees, Fingertips, Hips and Spine etc.
SYMPTOMS OF OSTEOARTHRITIS :
- Torn cartilage
- Joints Injuries
- Sex (Womens have more chances to be affected from these diseases).
- Compression of Joints.
It is a form of arthiritis which is characterized by severe pain, redness and tenderness in joints. GOUT most commonly affect the joint at the base of the big toe. It causes intense pain and inflammation around one or more joints. Pain and swelling occurs when to much uric acid crystallises and get attached in the joints.
- Intense Joint pain.
- Lingering Discomfort.
- Swelling and redness.
- High Level of Uric Acid in blood.
- Improper Diet.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Poor excretery System.
RHEUMATOID ARHTRITIS :-
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a long term auto- immune diseases that primarily affects our Joints. Auto- immune diseases are the diseases which attacks our healthy cells or tissues. So, both the sides of the joints are affected by RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis).
If a Joint is affected in your arms or legs, the same joints in the other arms or legs will be probably affected. Therefore, yoga for rheumatoid arthritis will be helpfull. to cure this.
- Inflammation and pain in Joints.
- Fatigue , fever and loss of appetite.
- Joints Stiffness.
- It is caused when our immune system attacks our Synovium.
- Enviornmental exposures.
Deficiency of Calcium in the bones due to which the bones becomes weak and brittle. So, these condition is known as Osteoporosis. In these condition the Degeneration of Bones takes place and it also becomes hollow. And due to hollowness there is a probabilty of breaking down of Bones.
- Body Pain in Normal activities.
- Back Pain.Weakness in Bones.
- Degeneration of Bones.
- More Chances of breakdown of bones.
- Regular Intake of Sterriod.
- Hormonal changes.
- Low level of Calcium in body.
Is Yoga therapy good for Arthritis Or Not ?
Yoga is a science of consciousnes. It is an integrated system of techniques by which we develop our hidden potentials to the fullest. Our qualities of love, joy, security, discrimination, intelligence, higher abilites and awareness, expands as we practice Yoga.
Yoga therapy has proved effective in a variety of disorders and is being used today not only by yoga practitioner but also by doctors. Yoga offers a significant variety of proven health benefits. So, here is Best yoga for arthritis sufferers.
It increases the efficiency of the heart and slows the respiratory rate, improves fitness, lower blood pressure, promotes relaxtion, reduces stress and anxiety. also serves to improve coordination, posture flexiblity, concentration, sleep and digestion.
Yoga can be used as a supplementary therapy for conditionsas diverse as cancer, diabetes, arthritis, asthma, migrane and AIDS and helps to combat addictions such as smoking. So, Finally we can say Yoga therapy is good for Arthritis.
Yoga Therapy OR Yogic Treatment for Arthritis :-
Yoga poses for Arthritis :-
These are Traditional and Simple and easy yogasanas for arthritis which are beneficial yoga for arthritis patients.
♧ As a Yoga therapist, we should give some simple and easy yogasanas for arthritis in knees or in hands. which doesn’t give anyload or pressure on their kness and which is quite convenient for them. We should guide them for taking support of something and then performing the regular movement and activities.
3 Best and Effective Yoga poses for Arthritis
Among them, these are some of the Basic and Traditional Asana for arthritis which briefly described:
~ Dandasana steps benefits and precautions :-
- TECHNIQUE :-
- First Sit down in any comfortable posture. Like ( Sukhasana etc.)
- Then slowly, Open your both legs (both legs together) and your legs streched forward.
- Try to keep your toes facing the roof.
- Try to keep your Head, neck, spine in a staright line.
- Then keep your palm flat on the ground right beside your hips, with your fingers pointed infront.
- Try to look forward and gaze in any point in which you are comfortable.
- Hold there 30 to 60 secs, Breathing Should be Normal.After that, Release these posture and come back to the starting position.
Dandasana Benefits and Contraindications
- Increases the flexiblity of the spine and back muscles.
- Improves breathing pattern.
- Relaxes the Knee Joint and Knee muscles.
- Through Regular practice of these particular asana will help to cure all the pains related to Knee joints. Therefore, Dandasana is a best yoga for arthritis in knees.
- CONTRA- INDICATION :-
- Avoid this asana while you have wrist injuries and back injuries.
- Also, avoid in shoulder injury.
~ Konasana steps and benefits :-
- TECHNIQUE :-
- Firstly, stand straight, both legs together and Hands beside your thighs.
- Then slowly, make a distance between your both legs upto (3-4 feets apart).
- Slowly raise your both hands upto shoulder level. Then slowly, bend right side of our body.
- Try to keep you right palms over your right kness (or thighs ) and your left hands beside your ears or connecting your ears.
- Breathing should be normal, Hold there upto 10- 15 sec.
- After that, Release these posture and come to the starting position step by step.
BENEFITS OF KONASANA :–
- It helps to stretch the side muscles of the body.
- Helps in toning of arms, legs and abdominal organs.
- Provide a good stretch to the back muscles and side muscles.
- Helps to lengthen the spine.
- Improves the breathing pattern.
- Good for those who are suffering from Various Joint pain (but they should practice under the guidance of the teacher).
- Improves the Digestive disorders.
- Avoid this asana when you are suffering from this :-
- Back Injury.
- Shoulder Injury.
- Abdominal surgery.
- Neck Injury.
- Stress and Anxiety.
~ Savasana steps benefits and precautions
- TECHNIQUE :-
- Lie down in supine line position. Your whole Body in a staright line.
- Then slowly, both hands apart from your body, palm facing the sky.
- Slowly, apart your legs ( upto 1- 2 feets). Then slowly Close your both Eyes.
- Your breathing should be normal and Relax as much as you can.
- Avoid all the body movements, all your Joints and Relax all your muscles.
- In practice of the savasana, slowly bring the awarness within your body and try to activate the body movements.
- After that turn one side and with the help of your palm raise your body up and sit down in any comfortable posture.
SAVASANA BENEFITS AND PRECAUTIONS :-
- Relaxes Your Back muscles and Knee muscles.
- It give proper Relaxe to your whole body.
- Your mind becomes calm and cool.
- Cures all the problems related to Neuro.
- Relaxation (savasana) helps to cures all the problems related to stress, headache and anxiety.
NOTE :- Those who are very distracted and irritated they find themselves difficult to take Relaxation. Those who are suffering from depression should avoid this.
Best Pranayama for Arthritis :-
Breathing Practices is benefical for all the diseases and disorders. One fails to cope up with these problems because of Interrupted breathing pattern. So, these breathing practices are needed to cure all the problems related to our body and mind. So, these are some of the Breathing practices to cure Arthritis (Pranayama ) given below:
1. Anulom Vilom for Arthritis
It is also known as Nadishodhana Pranayama or Alternate Nostril Breathing.
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama steps and Benefits :-
- Sit in any comfortable posture (like sukhasana, padmasana and Vajrasana).
- The Sadhaka (practitioner) should draw in air or Inhale through left nostril.[ INHALATION PHASE ]
- Then, Retain the ( inhaled ) air as per your capacity [ RETENSION PHASE].
- Exhale from Right Nostril [ EXHALATION PHASE ].Then Again, Inhale slowly through the right nostril, fill the thorcic cavity.
- Retain the air or ( Perform khumbhaka) for a while.
- finally exhale through left nostril, This is the one round of Nadi- shodhana pranayama.
Timing of Anulom vilom Pranayam :-
- Everyday 20- 30 min.
- Four times a day.
- Morning – Afternoon – Evening – Mid night
- ( If not possible then Only perfom 2 times a day Morning and evening ).
Anulom vilom Pranayam Benefits :-
- Toxins which are present in our body are purified.
- Nadis ( which are energy channels of our body) becomes pure.
- Body becomes Calm and cool.Problems related to Vata, Pitta and Cough are cured.
- Proper practice of Pranayama cures all the diseases.
- Slimness of the body.
- Gastric fire is increased.
Shatkarmas cleansing techniques :- Shuddhi kriya in yoga
These are also known as the “Cleansing Process of yoga“. It is also known as Shatkarma in yoga or “Shodhana karma in ayurveda “. Through these practices the body becomes totally Pure and Clean.
Many problems and diseases are occured due to unhygienic condition of our body Internally. It means when organs of our body works very poor and slowly. Then the body always remains Impure. So, these Purificatory process is helpfull for overcoming the various diseases and disorders. very helful in yoga therapy for Arthritis.
NETI KRIYA (Shatkarma in yoga)
There are two kinds of Neti Kriya in Yoga .
- Jala neti kriya
- Sutra neti kriya
Jala neti kriya :-
- Fill the “jala Neti Pot ” with luke warm water and also add a pinch of salt to it.
- Then, here water is inserted from one nostril and simultaneously the water will comes out from the other Nostril.
- This Cleansing process is known as Jala Neti kriya in yoga.
Surta Neti kriya :-
- It is performed by a Rubber Catheter and sutra easy to insert into the nostril.
- Precaution of sutra neti :- hand should be clean and nails properly cut as in order to take the catheter out from the mouth.
- A Rubber Catheter is inserted in the hole of the nose and draw it out from the mouth.
- This Cleansing Process is known as Sutra Neti kriya in yoga by the accomplished Yogis.
Benefits of Jala/Sutra neti kriya:
- Cleanses the frontal sinuses.
- Vision is improved.
- Destroys the diseases occuring above the shoulder.
- It cures all diseases related to Upper Respiratory system.
- By doing Kriya cures the problem of Sinusitis.
- It is beneficial in asthamatic conditions and making breathing easier.
- Its helps to cure the Migrane attack.
- Cleanses all the toxins which are present in our body.
Regular practice of these jala and sutra neti kriya helps to improve the breathing pattern and provide the soothing effect in our body and mind. So, through these practices our body is being purified and various diseases like Sinsusitis, Asthma, Headache , Migrane, obesity and Arthrtis are avoided.
Vamana Dhauti or Kunjal kriya
These is the another cleansing process which is also known as Gajakarni kriya. This practice is done by drinking tepid water with pinch of salt added to it. One should drink to the extend possible up to throat then a little tickling at the throat with fingers generates this peristaltic movement and water starts coming out of the mouth with little force as we can seen elephant throwing water out of its trumpet. When this ability is achieved then only its is known as GajaKarni.
Kunjal kriya Benefits :-
- Cough diseases are cured and Respiratory disorders are cured.
- Spleen Diseases and twenty types of diseases related to phlegm ( kapha) are cured permanently.
- Gastro- Intestinal diseases like:Obesity, Ulcer, Constipation, Dyspepsia and Diabtes are permanently cured.
- Breathing pattern is improved.
- Toxins which are present in GI tract are cleaned.
Meditation for healing arthritis :- Yoga therapy
Practice of Meditation or Dhyana is also very beneficial. Dhyana helps to calm our mind and body. Regular Practice of Meditation or Dhyana will help to stabalize the Thought waves of our mind.
Practice : Two times a day ( 10- 15 min ).
Mantra chanting for curing Arthritis :
One should also Chant mantra to remove pain and suffering (Two times a day). Mantra Chanting or Mantra Japa is done in three way:
- Vakhari Japa : Audible
- Upanshu Japa: Whispering
- Manasic Japa: Mental
KINDS OF MANTRA
1. DEITY MANTRA : Saguna with attributes of God.
2. NIRGUNA MANTRA: Without attributes.
3. BEEJ MANTRA: These mantra acts on Nadis. They vibrate on chakras/ nerves tubes of the astral body.
4. SABAR MANTRA: Some mantras are given by the Guru to disciple are called Diksha Mantras.
Important Hindu Mantra for curing arthritis
- OM CHANTING
- GYATRI MANTRA
- OM NAMAH SHIVAYA
- HARI OM TAT SAT
- OM NAMHO BHAGAVATE VASUDEVAYA
- SRI RAM JAI RAM JAI JAI RAM
- OM GAN GANPATAYE NAMAH
- MAHA MRITYUNJAYA MANTRA
- OM DUM DURGAYE NAMAH
HEALING MANTRAS : mantra to remove pain and suffering
- Gayatri Mantras
- Maha Mritunjaya Mantra
- Om chanting.
IMPORTANCE OF MANTRA :
- It enhances concentration.
- Mental Tension is Removed.
- Mind becomes Introward.
- Spritiual personality is awakened.
- It develops the faith and confidence.
- Mind Becomes Pure.
- It develops the surrender, bhakti and satisfaction.
- Mental Tension is removed. It is a dynamic relaxtion.
- Surrendering Attitiute is created.
- Finally we can say that, mantras has a good effect on our mind and body. When we are mentally stable then only we can be physically fit and healthy.
Daily Diet chart for Arthritis Patient
- 1. Drink 10 glasses of water during a day.
- 2. Avoid Curd, fried food, cold drinks, rice and potato etc.
- 3. Drink Juice of Amala with Honey.
- 4. Eat Besan with Ghee. Don’t use salt to it.
- 5. Rub mustard oil on the affected part .
- 6. Garlic soup be taken with meals. Rub lemon Juice over the affected part.
- 7. Eat oranges, apple or any fruit except banana.
- 8. Eat chapatis and green vegetables, saag etc.
- 9. Start Eating Ghee everyday.
So Finally, Everyone should go through this, it will help u alot. So, these are some of the Arthritis-friendly yoga practices which will help the people who are really suffering from these diseases. I just want to say that there is a misunderstanding or misconception about Yoga which is spreading all around us. Ignore all the Misconceptions and only focus on your daily practices.
So, these is a small content (Yoga Therapy for Arthritis- Effective way to cure Arthritis) which i tried to present in front of everyone. Finally, I will conclude and Just want to say that Practice everyday and Meditate on Ishwar and his glory who has created this universe, who is first to be worshiped and who is the remover of all the sin and ignorance.