Mood swings, morning sickness, headaches, hair-fall and many other changes makes your pregnancy a bit difficult. Yoga for pregnancy poses practice can definitely make it a calm and easy journey for you and your unborn child. Let us looks into some benefits of prenatal yoga poses practice during pragnancy.
When it comes to mental health and physical health wellness, yoga is the first thing that pops in our mind. And mental health is a big time necessity for all the pregnant women like you along with the physical well-being. None but you are the sole person experiencing the life growing inside you.
Benefits of yoga during pregnancy and Role of Prenatal-yoga :-
Yogasana help keep the body supple. They relieve tension around the cervix by opening up the pelvic region. This prepares to-be-mothers for labor and delivery. Yoga and pranayama can train you to breathe deeply and relax consciously, helping you face the demands of labor and childbirth.
Prenatal Yoga helps to alleviate the effect of common symptoms such as morning sickness, painful leg cramps, swollen ankles, and constipation. Practising pregnancy yoga for normal delivery can increases the chances of the normal delivery at the end of the pragnancy which is crucial as normal delivery recovers faster than the operational one. Prenatal Yoga poses also help pregnant women recover faster post-delivery.
Prenatal Yoga poses to be practiced at home during pregnancy
1. Marjariasana – cat and cow pose (10 times)
Benefits of cat/cow pose in pregnancy :-
Stretches the neck and shoulders, alleviating stiffness and Keeps the spine flexible. This is very useful because your spine has to support more weight as the pregnancy advances.
- Improves breathing.
- Improves blood circulation, ensuring that the reproductive organs are well nourished.
- Relives back pain CLICK HERE (for more about back pain).
2. Veer bhadrasana / warrior pose during pregnancy –
Benefits of warrior pose in pregnancy :-
- Improves balance in the body.
- Tones the arms, legs and lower back.
- Strengthens thighs.
- Creates happy hormones in the body.
- Increases stamina.
3. Badhakonasana – butterfly pose for pregnant women
Benefits of Butterfly pose during pregnancy
- Improves flexibility in the hip and groin region.
- Stretches the thighs and knees, relieving pain.
- Alleviates fatigue.
- Butterfly also helps to facilitate smooth delivery when it practiced until late pregnancy.
- Increases the chance of Normal delivery.
4. Malasana – garland pose easy prenatal pose
Benefits of Malasana pose on pregnancy –
- Keep the back straight while doing asana,
- Strengthens thighs and abdominal area.
- Releases unwanted gas from the body.
- Relieves back pain.
- Makes the inner thighs flexible enabling normal delivery.
- Aids metabolism thereby relieves constipations.
5. Balasana – child pose
Benefits of child pose in pregnant women –
- This child asana is a relaxing pose, relaxes both the back and the mind.
- The best part about it is that it does so without putting any pressure on your abdomen.
- It also releases trapped stress in the muscles and improves blood circulation.
- It helps battle dizziness, fatigue, and nausea that the first trimester of pregnancy brings with it.
- Relief from headache and stomach-ache.
6) Utkatasana – chair pose
Benefits of Utkatasana/ chair pose during Pragnancy
- This asana stimulates the muscles in your legs, especially the hips and thighs.
- Chair pose also helps to increases the circulation of blood in your limbs, thus reducing and preventing swelling.
- This is essential during pregnancy to transfer some weight and stress from your abdomen and back to your legs.
- Might improve the concentration abilities of both the mother and the child.
- Helps staying fit and in shape.
7) Viparita karani asana – legs up the wall pose in pregnancy
legs up the wall pose benefits :-
- Relieves backache.
- Improves the flow of blood to the pelvic region.
- Eases swollen ankles and varicose veins – a common symptom of pregnancy.
- legs up the wall pose fertility :-
- it helps to deal with ovarian problems in women
- and semen and testicular problem in men.
- this pose brings calmness and positive energy to the pelvic region.
8) Trikonasana – Yoga Triangle pose variation
Benefits of Triangle Yoga pose
- Triangle pose is preparatory pose of parivrtta trikonasana
- Maintains physical balance with mental balance it is the Emotional benefits of triangle pose.
- Especially very useful yogasana for pregnant women since their centre of gravity shifts.
- Triangle pose gives stretches and opens your hips which can be a big help during delivery.
- Reduces back pain and stress.
Which pranayama is good during pregnancy ?
Bhramari pranayama for pregnant women
Benefits of Bhramari pranayama
- Helps regulate blood pressure.
- Relieves headaches.
- Regulates the breathing process.
- Creates positivity in the child’s and mother’s mind.
- Keeps anxiety and depression away.
- Creates happy hormones.
Nadi shodhana pranayama benefits during pregnancy
Anulom-vilom for pregnant women
- is anulom vilom harmful during pregnancy ?
- NO, anulom vilom good for pregnancy
- Calms and relaxes the mind.
- Maintains body temperature.
- Enhances oxygen supply which helps with the baby’s growth.
- Keeps anxiety and depression away.
- Creates happy hormones.
Is yoga safe when pregnant ?
Yes, yoga can helps you to maintain yours and your baby health. All the yogasanas should be practiced as per the mother’s capacity. No pressure on any of the body parts should be applied. If the pregnancy has complecations one should always consult the concerned gynaecologist.
Precautions to be taken before practicing yogasanas during pregnancy
- During the advanced stages of pragnancy, avoid yoga asana that put pressure on the abdomen.
- Do some standing poses in the first trimester of pregnancy. This will help strengthen the legs and enhance circulation. It can even reduce leg cramps.
- During the second and third trimester, reduce the time spent holding asanas to prevent fatigue.
- Substitute with breathing exercises and meditation.
- Avoid practicing yoga from the 10th to 14th week of pragnancy since these are crucial times.
- Avoid doing inversion poses. Listen to your body and do as much as you can without undue effort.
Yoga poses to avoid during pregnancy :-
- Chakrasana / wheel pose
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Viparita Shalabhasana
- Purna dhnurasna ETC.
- all advance yoga poses shuold be avoid during pragnancy.
How to take care of a pregnant woman everyday
- Maintain a healthy sleep-cycle. (8 hours a day).
- Maintain a healthy meal-cycle (4 meals)
- Maintain the diet prescribed by the gynaecologist.
- Drink enough water and be hydrated.
- Take a walk in the morning/evening.
- Create happy environment around you and in your family.
- Train yourself as a mother already.
- Talk about your concerns to the family, friends etc…Be active.
- Read happy and positive books.
- Do more of the activities that makes you happy and keeps you busy enough to not to get over- stressed.
It is easy to advice for doctors and other to take care but only you know the pain and the infite happiness that gives you for being able to carry a life inside for 9 months which is incredible.
You are strong and don’t forget that. Be happy and stress free as everything can wait but not your and you child’s health. Keep up the confidence and vibes. It might get harder but it’s worth the pain. Lastly, make this journey of 9 months memorable and happy that you can share with the child.
thanks for reading Yoga for pregnancy. if you have any Suggestion and question regarding article then please leave your valuable comment.
For more such videos visit the YouTube channel – yoga with shreya panjwani.