Yoga is derived from Sanskrit root yuj it means to connect, union or unite. it is the union of jivatma (individual soul) to parmatama (universal soul). there are two types of yoga pranasayam yoga and bhavna yoga. Meaning of pranasayam yoga is prana means breath and sayam mean control. so the yoga which controls your breath is known as pranasayam yoga. there are four types of prana sayam yoga, mantra yoga is one of them.
It is a type of yoga that uses mantra to awaken the Self and deepen the meditative aspects of a physical yoga practice. repetition of the mantra creates positive vibration that benefits both the one who chants and the one who listens. person or yogi has to prepare themself mentally and emotionally to chant the mantra. after then with the help of mantra. he/she is able to achieve the path of samadhi.
there are many traditional books for references but the main books are Vedas and Upanishads.
Definition of Mantra Yoga According to Vedas and Upnishads
Mannaat traayte iti mantrah.
Mantras protect us and guide us. And with the help of this mantra person can control his body, mind and senses.
Acharya ( Mantra Yogi ) :-
Many acharyas and rishi munis used to follow the path of this yoga to achieve the way of samadhi. those rishis are followed:- Narad, Shandilya, Shukra, Brahaspati, Kashyap, Ganga and Vashishtha.
There are three ways to chant the mantra :-
In mantra yoga person has to follow this 16 steps:-
- Panchang Sevan
- Divya Desh Sevan
- Prana Kriya
- Yagya (Yadnya)
Bhakti means faith. it is the first step for mantra yogi. There are two types of bhakti In Bhakti yoga. Now we will discuss one by one.
Types of Bhakti
- Para Bhakti :- Some people’s doing bhakti for fulfilling their desire and wishes. This kind of bhakti is known as Para Bhakti. And this bhakti is also known as ” Gauni bhakti”.
- Apara Bhakti:- it is the kind of spiritual or pure Bhakti. Because in this type of bhakti the person totally devotes himself towards the god.
To follow the path of Mantra it is very important to clear (Suddha) yourself.
There are two types of suddhi in Mantra yoga
Internal suddhi:- means to clear yourself internally. This internal suddhi is also known as Kaya suddhi. Meaning of kaya suddhi is is clear body internally. There are many Ways of Kaya Suddhi or Internal Suddhi :-
- Through Mantra:- By pronouncing mantra body of person becomes pure. Bathing with mantra resitation.
- Bhauma:- bhauma means land or soil ( bhasma). By smearing the body with bhasma one can pure his body.
- Varunya:- varunya means rainwater. By rainwater also a person can purify himself.
- Gorai:- means dust of cows feet.
- Agneya:- agneya means the direction of Agni ( fire).
- Vayavya:- vayavya means the direction of Vayu ( air).
- Manas:- means mindful worship.
External suddhi:- there are three types of external suddhi. Now we will discuss one by one external suddhi.
- Mana suddhi :- means purification of mind. In this type of suddhi yogi wants to obtain the vision of his istadevta.
- Stava suddhi :- stava means land. Yogi can purify himself on spiritual land.
- Disha suddhi :- there are two types of ways of Disha. Uttarabhimukh and Purvabhimukh.
• Asana for mantra yoga :-
Asana is very important for mantra yogi. While performing mantra for yoga person has to stand or sit in some Posture. In which he is comfortable but especially he has to perform meditative Postures for his Sadhana.
• Panchang Sevan :-
Panchang Sevan Means “ Vacha” or ” Vani “. it means you have to read the mantra. Eg.:- Vishnu Sahastranam, Gita, stavan, kawach and stotra.
• Achar :-
Means daily routine. For performing mantra, yogi has to keep control on his daily routine. He has to follow some specific rules in his daily routine. Like Varmachar, Dakshinachar and Divyachar.
- Varmachar means attachment towards god.
- Dakshinachar means non-attachment.
- Divyachar means to follow the path of nivrutti.
• Divya Desh Sevan:-
Means divine places. There are sixteen Divya Desh like Nabhi, Vibhuti, Mudra, Hardya and Linga etc.
• Prana Kriya:-
Means chant mantra with total determination. while performing mantra, yogi wants to follow the following type of activity pranayama, karayasa and anganysha.
• Mudra : while chanting mantra for yoga :-
Mudra is the preparatory actions for practising mantra Sadhana. Mudra is jnana mudra, dhyana mudra andPrana mudra etc.
Means the type of ” Bhaga” person or yogi has to offer something to his desire deity. some time to stop natural disaster or loss with some natural things yogi is offering something to God.
Havana means an act of offering oblation with fire. A yogi who is performing mantra, he has to do this act in his daily routine.
• Bali :-
Presentation of an offering to the deity. There are three types of Bali.
- Offring own self to God – Satvik Bhawa.
- Offering flower or fruits – Rajasik Bhawa.
- Offering Animal – Tamsik Bhawa.
• Yagya ( Yadnya):-
Means oblation yogi has to perform Yadnya on some specific day. Yogis has to perform various kind of Yadnya:-
Manas Yadnya > Manas Japa > Manas karma
Repetition of mantra is known as Japa. There are three types of japa :-
1. Manas 2. Upanshu 3. Vaikhari
• Dhyana :-
Dhyana means concentration. Dhyana is divided into two types.
- Sukshma > Subtle.
- Sthula > Gross.
• Samadhi :-
it is the Supreme objective of mantra yoga. Therefore, Every yogi follows this yoga to achieve higher consciousness stage.